
It was about a year before I let anyone see my writings. Back then it seemed to expose a vulnerability and or weakness in myself that I felt a desperate need to cover, hide and control.
I am an overly sensitive person which is perhaps a good trait for a writer, not sure but, it does let me feel things and perhaps see things that the average person may not experience, or at least be able to put into words. However, being a male of the species, I have often felt this to be a dire weakness which I felt the need to hide.
I have since realize however that if we did not have weaknesses, we would be unique indeed because, everyone without exception has them - weaknesses. To disagree with that statement is only to fool oneself. Hey, a weakness is not a bad thing. In fact without them we not find a need to question ourselves in our actions, habits or even thoughts. More over I think it pushes us to look for companionship and or a mate with a fellow human being. As you may have notice in looking at your own levels of attract for another, that the ones we feel drawn to, amazingly, have a quality or strength which we are sadly lacking or feel inadequate with. It is therefore our weakness as stated above, that lets us 'desire' another who's strengths compliment our own and in return, it is hoped that our return to them is just as satisfying.
So why do I bother telling you this now, some twenty plus years since I started to write? Quite simple really, I see so many people out there who are down on themselves because they feel they don't fit-in or measure up to 'others' expectations. This is foolish. You as an individual must realize that above all, are unique and special with whatever you consider your own weaknesses. It is precisely these things which help make us unique. For me it is only now, that I feel I am a writer and feel free enough to express my feelings to others. True, this can take time, but anything worthwhile does. And if its exceptance of self your after, looking in and asking what it is you wish to change or keep about 'self' is as good a place to start as any.
look at is this way; anyone who is famous and or World renown, has had first, the courage and then the strength, to allow themselves to be different, without fear of ridicule. At least they would have the strength to forge ahead with whatever they thought was important to them.
To be short, we must first appreciate ourselves as a unique individual and to love and except what you find there, before you can be truly excepted by others. To do otherwise would be, to be a phony, and nobody likes a phony. It makes everyone around them feel uneasy.
So enjoy your follies, be yourself and try not to hurt anyone in the process. What else would you expect from others around you? Be yourself, be honest and enjoy life.
No comments:
Post a Comment